How does a fire alarm work
How does a smoke alarm actually work?
Smoke alarms are actually called smoke alarms. And that's exactly how they work: they warn you in good time of any smoke that is developing. Most common smoke alarms are so-called optical smoke alarms. They work according to the scattered light principle. According to this procedure, the smoke detector reacts even to low concentrations of fire smoke - but without triggering an alarm in the presence of light smoke such as cigarette smoke.
This is how a smoke alarm works:
An infrared light-emitting diode and a light-sensitive sensor, a so-called photodiode, are located in the optical chamber of the smoke detector. The infrared LED continuously emits a test light beam that is invisible to the human eye and aligned so that it does not strike the light-sensitive photodiode directly.
If smoke particles are in the air and these penetrate the optical chamber of the detector, the emitted infrared light beam of the LED is scattered and reflected by the smoke particles. Part of this scattered infrared light also falls on the light-sensitive photodiode - the smoke detector sounds the alarm. It is important to know that even small particles such as dust or insects can trigger an alarm. It is therefore important to maintain the smoke alarm on a regular basis.
Smoke detector checklist
Check smoke alarms annually for their functionality. Keep the operating instructions for the smoke detector in a safe place and always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Press the test button to test the function of the smoke detector. If there is no signal, the function is disrupted.
Remove dust, insects, covers or other foreign bodies from the smoke inlets.
Replace the battery in the smoke detector when the corresponding signal sounds. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
“Q” stands for quality
Smoke detectors awarded the “Q” not only have a permanently installed 10-year long-life lithium battery, but also better measuring electronics as well as more stable components and a more stable housing. As a result, Q-smoke detectors are less prone to false alarms and at the same time offer more convenience - there is no need to replace the batteries, and maintenance and care is easier and cheaper. Q smoke alarms are also recommended by Stiftung Warentest.
List of Q smoke detectors
Here you will find an overview of all quality smoke detectors
Most Popular Topics:
- How can I stop deviating from my studies?
- What is 16-bit support for?
- What is the most powerful anti-inflammatory food
- How to change your attachment style
- What is the scope of CSE
- Why was the battleship Yamato really legendary?
- What makes you think the most
- What was the first holy bible
- What is your experience at IIT Bhubaneswar
- Do personal shoppers work really well
- Can Qigong TCM cure loneliness
- Why do Koeche use Kraeuter
- Who discovered anti-gravity
- Puerto Rico is about to achieve statehood
- Is incorrectly dated 13
- Why don't people stay happy these days?
- What website can I download videos from
- Who is the best cultural singer
- What is factorization in math
- How is OTP generated
- Which 2018 film was overwritten
- How does acting feel?
- Why do we trust money
- Does C3PO have an anxiety disorder?