Why is it bad for cats to go outside?
Leash walks with the cat
Most cats enjoy being outside on the fresh air can. They have diverse environmental impressions. The largest Danger for outdoor enthusiasts however, is road traffic. But there are not only cat-friendly hunters and not only cat-enthusiastic neighbors. There are also various diseases that cannot be vaccinated against, parasites and the risk of theft.
Many cat owners are afraid of letting their cat go outside. The risk is particularly high on busy roads. However, if there is still a desire to enable the cat to go outside, building a cat-safe garden can also be one Cat leash be the solution.
Is my cat suitable for leash walks?
Not all cats are excited about walking on a leash. For some it is actually a wonderful opportunity to get some fresh air, sunshine and new impressions. Should you give your cat a try? Take the short test!
How do you rate your cat? Answer the questions with yes or no:
- Is my cat very confident?
- Is my cat curious?
- My cat has a certain thirst for freedom?
- Has my cat been outdoors before, or did it grow up outside?
- My cat likes to move?
- My cat reacts calmly to new impressions?
- Does my cat bond well with me?
- Is my cat healthy?
- Is my cat fully vaccinated?
- Is my cat younger than seven?
- I can hug my cat without any problems?
- My cat reacts calmly when driving?
- My cat doesn't panic about a kitten?
If you can answer "yes" to at least seven of the questions, it is worth trying with a harness and leash.
In the following cases, you should be better refrain from walking on a leash:
- if the cat is not vaccinated
- if the cat is not chipped
- when the cat is extremely anxious
- if the cat has an illness for which excitement could be harmful
Likewise, if you cannot guarantee the cat will do the same, you shouldn't start walking on the leash regularly to offer. If the cat has fun, it will demand the new freedom!
The equipment for a leash walk with a cat
The equipment for a leash walk with a cat includes:
- a well-fitting, adjustable chest harness
- a leash
The lines have Flexi lines proven, which are offered for small dogs. "Walking jackets" are also often very well tolerated by cats and have the advantage that the cat is not strangled if it pulls on the leash, as the pull is very evenly distributed. Please do not try your luck with collars. Cats are very flexible and slip out of a collar far too quickly. There is also a risk of strangulation if the cat panics for any reason. In addition, it makes sense to have a Katzenkennel or one Transport bag to take with you on the walk.
Getting the cat used to the harness
Cats have to gradually accustomed to harness and leash become. First of all, you are trained to wear the harness at home in the familiar environment: On the first day you just put the harness on the cat and maybe make small adjustments to the size and wait to see how the cat reacts:
- If the cat becomes restless, defends itself or even panics while mooring, it should be left alone. Then try again in a few days.
- If the cat stays calm with the harness on, it will be praised and given a tasty treat. Then simply pull the harness off again.
Practice continues the next day. The wearing time of the harness is lengthened more and more until the cat is no longer bothered and it marches through the apartment with the harness, completely unimpressed.
Cat falls over with harness
Many cats simply fall over when wearing a harness for the first time. If you organize a cat teaser, i.e. a stick with feathers on top, or a cat fishing rod, this behavior can usually be switched off quickly.
As soon as the "hunting instinct" is awakened for the apparent prey, the cat "forgets" that it is carrying the harness and rushes after the feather feather. Playing with the cat helps a lot to speed up the familiarization process.
The harness can get caught on a strap anywhere, and the cat will get stuck, even in the worst case half strangled. One such incident may be enough, and you can immediately say goodbye to the idea of walks.
6 basic rules for cat harnesses
- You practice regularlyIf possible, at the time of day you later plan to take the cat out.
- Better two or three short training times than one that is too long and overwhelmed the cat.
- Cats love rituals. Talk to your darling while using one calm, friendly tone.
- Praise If your cat is doing well, reward them with a treat.
- If your cat is anxious, even panicking, or visibly uncomfortable, stop the exercise immediately and go back one level while exercising.
- Please never try to force your cat to do anything. Tomorrow is another day and you won't achieve anything with pressure.
Getting the cat used to the leash
You can also get used to the leash at home. If your cat does that Crockery as a matter of course tolerated, hang up the leash and run a little after the cat with it. The same rules apply to handling the cat as to getting used to the harness. If the leash can be carried for a few minutes at a time, hang the cat down again and then gradually extend the time, as described above for getting used to the harness.
Danger: For the first time, please practice in the largest and clearest room in your apartment and limit the length of the leash on flexi leashes with the stop function. It is possible that your cat panics in front of the leash, feels threatened or persecuted and therefore runs quickly around the room, wrapping the leash around furniture or knocking it over.
Some cats get used to the leash and harness faster, while others may take several months to get used to it. Sometimes it can help to switch to a different line, for example without a retractor. You as a cat owner definitely need it much patience. However, if your cat is visibly uncomfortable with the leash and is not making any progress, you should accept that the leash is not suitable for your cat and that it will not put them under constant stress.
The first leash walk with the cat
Once the cat has got used to the harness and leash in the house, the big day of the first use can be planned outside. Think of the following aspects:
- Your cat should have a valid vaccination and flea and tick protection (ask your veterinarian about effective preparations).
- Your cat should be chipped and your contact details should be deposited with an animal registry.
- Do not start walking outside in winter.
- Take a transport box or bag with you for transport and in the event of an emergency.
- Take a feather duster and treats with you as motivation.
- The cat should wear the harness and leash before you leave the house.
Step 1: Arrival at the destination
When you have reached your destination, place the transport container on the floor and take the leash in your hand. At first the door remains closed and the cat is allowed to sniff the safe cave and see what is there to see.
Step 2: the door opens
Some extremely self-confident cats immediately start scratching at the kennel grille and signal that they want to get out, while others are unsettled at first and push themselves into the last corner. Depending on the cat's behavior, open the door immediately or wait until the animal appears calm and curious. Before opening, make sure that you are no dog in sight is located and no people Approaching the location where you are.
After opening the door leave it up to the cat to decide whether or not to come out. Usually curiosity wins out after a few minutes. For some cats it helps if you have them lures and praises, others can be motivated by the feather duster. Once the cat has left the safe box, it will soon want to sit or lie down, sniff in peace or nibble some grass.
If the cat makes no move to get out of the transport box and is afraid, stop the attempt after a few minutes. If she stays inside but looks interested, allow her the view of the strange world and repeat the whole thing another time.
Step 3: the right length
Enough for the first excursion 15 minutes completely, unless your cat is already walking through the grass like a pro and is visibly enjoying himself. You can then return to later trips extend gradually or shorten it if the cat is having a bad day.
The right place for leash walks with cats
Your own garden is suitable for the first leash walk with the cat, as long as it is quiet and, if necessary, fenced off. If you don't have a garden, find another place. This should have the following properties, even for later walks:
- offers a lot of free lawn or meadow area
- quiet location (no traffic, no city center)
- as "dog-free" as possible
In addition, it is advisable to start looking for areas where you are halfway alone with your cat. If you have your city park in mind, it is better not to practice on Sundays at the beginning, when whole hordes of people are strolling on the sidewalks and saying, "Oh, she's cute!" rush on the cat.
Danger to cats when walking on the leash
There are also some dangers when walking the cat that you as a cat owner should be particularly careful of:
- Trees can become a trap if the cat leash gets tangled in some branches or the cat gets stuck on the harness. Therefore, please make sure that the cat is better off not climbing. Likewise one should thick bushes avoid.
- Be sure to avoid the Contact with dogs and other cats. They can scare, harm, or transmit disease to your cat.
Always take the transport box with youas soon as the cat wants to move in a wider area. It serves as a quick refuge when a dog approaching freely or when the cat is somehow frightened. It is better to lift the cat and the basket than to hold the animal in your arms. It is important to be able to control the cat, especially when meeting dogs. A cat that is scared to death can no longer be held with bare hands without being injured. In an emergency, the cat should therefore be returned to the transport box.
Who gives the direction for a walk on the leash?
Outside, the cat decides where it wants to go. The exception is of course when there is danger. But there are also cats that, over time, really learn to walk on a leash. That means they follow people and not the other way around. A good way to get the cat to do this is to give her the Specify the direction of travel with the feather duster. It then hunts the frond over a longer distance, so to speak. Praise your cat for doing everything right.
Can the cat hunt on a leash?
Even if your cat would enjoy it, please do not let your cat hunt birds outside. Stay away from known breeding sites during the breeding season, and if you go for walks in winter avoid places where birds are fed.
Information on the health of indoor cats with a leash run
An indoor cat with a leash run should be dewormed regularly. Protection against ticks and fleas is also important, as is the search for ticks after a trip to the countryside.
They are also important for the health of the cat regular breaks during the walk, because cats are not endurance runners. Take in the warm season as well Drinking water for your cat with. While free-roaming cats actually like to drink from puddles and stagnant water without being harmed, house cats are often not as resistant and can sometimes get a gastrointestinal infection. Therefore, it is better not to let people drink from such water sources.
Have fun on your leash walks with your cat - afterwards she will certainly dream intensely of the experiences in the little freedom when she is slumbering on the sofa at home.
- Are there giant marine animals yet to be discovered
- How often are children actually kidnapped?
- Can sound-absorbing panels absorb kitchen noise
- BJP should be careful with TDP coverts
- How does Witricity work
- Which mutagens are known to cause cancer?
- Where can I find accident attorney NC
- How does thrillophilia work
- How would you clean tobacco stained walls
- How often do you buy CDs
- There is a fundamental problem with Islam
- Did the New Testament talk about Islam
- What are protic acids
- Where did the Xhosa settle
- Should emergency rooms ever give opioids
- A startup is necessarily a company
- Is John Wall a bust
- How much does FDIC insure
- There really is no treatment for quadriplegia
- BDS will be stressful
- Curry leaves are good for the eyes
- Which horror movie should I see
- How is civil engineering in SMVDU
- Who is the greatest technologist in Africa
- What are misunderstood animals good pets?
- How can I gamble responsibly in Vegas
- How do I get better study results
- How does the earth affect the moon
- How do you promote creative problem solving
- Plutonium has naturally occurring isotopes
- What are the most effective at creating horror
- Why do Unimogs cost so much