What are the different types of turtles
There are still seven species of sea turtles around the world
The leatherback turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) is the only survivor of the Dermochelyidae (leatherback turtle) family. The Cheloniidae (sea turtle) family includes the following six species: Australian green turtle (Natator depressus), hawksbill sea turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata), green sea turtle or green turtle (Chelonia mydas), Kempard's horse turtle (Lepidacidochelysely) Loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta).
In the Leatherback turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) the original bone and horn armor has receded. What is left is a thick, leather-like skin into which small, mosaic-like bone plates are inserted. With a shell length of up to two meters and an average weight of 500 kilograms, the leatherback turtle is also the largest of the sea turtles.
Australian green turtle
The Australian green turtle (Natator depressus) has a flat body and armor, with upturned edges. This species has the smallest range of all sea turtles. It occurs only in the waters between northern Australia, southern Indonesia and Papua New Guinea.
The up to 90 centimeters tall and 60 kilograms heavy Hawksbill sea turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) has pointed arched jaws that are reminiscent of a bird of prey's beak.
The Green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas) is not only green, but also black-brown to yellowish-green in color. With a length of up to 1.5 meters and a weight of up to 200 kilograms, it is the largest turtle in the Cheloniidae family.
Kemp's hybrid turtle (Lepidochelys kempii) is the smallest sea turtle with a length of 70 centimeters. It is easy to recognize by its almost round shell.
Pacific ridged turtle
The Pacific ridged turtle (Lepidochelys olivacea) looks very similar to the Kemp’s hybrid turtle, but with a length of up to 72 centimeters and a weight of 50 kilograms, it is larger and heavier than it. Both species are native to different regions.
Loggerhead sea turtle
The Loggerhead sea turtle (Caretta caretta) reaches a weight of 180 kilograms and a shell length of over one meter. Its large head and strong jaws are characteristic.
- Sea turtles
Sea turtles are descended from land or freshwater turtles that have adapted to the marine environment. Continue reading ...
- How can I go to university
- What are the characteristics of harmonics
- How many neutrons in potassium
- How can I record TV programs
- What is the communal system of agriculture
- What is a seder
- Are Zebpay activities reliable
- What is the Navajo word for Jewish?
- Why do videos go viral on YouTube
- Does the blackhead removal vacuum actually work?
- How's the summers in Austin, TX
- Is photographic memory a real thing 1
- What happened to Ola in Bangalore
- What is a layout in Android
- What is speciesism? Why does it exist?
- How can i make my penis tiny
- What image does Generation Z represent.
- I have reached the goal of life
- What kind of mead did Beowulf drink
- Why does Sasuke kill Karin in Naruto
- What are the beacon companies out there
- Which was the most grown-up movie of all time
- What was the first fish you caught
- What is a child
- Which science blogs are worth following
- How worthwhile a resource is Google Scholar
- Protein powders are good for meal replacements
- Have manual cars torque converters
- Should siblings go to the same school
- Are there microtubules in plant cells
- What would happen if Brazil invaded Venezuela?
- How many feet correspond to 1000 meters
- How does a hydrogeologist pronounce Arete
- What were Native American weapons made of?