Why can I read people so well
Knowledge of human nature test: can it be learned?
Do you have a good knowledge of people?Of course, I find it easy to assess other people! Would you answer that too? Then you belong to the clear majority. Nobody claims of himself that he has big problems judging another person or that he is wrong. Instead, it is asserted that you can read the character of new contacts like a book. Unfortunately, in many cases this self-assessment does not correspond to reality. Guilt are perceptual errors that happen unconsciously. Why we ours Overestimate human knowledgewhether you can learn these and a test to check your skills ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Knowledge of human nature: a brief definition
Many certify it themselves, almost everyone describes it as an important qualification and yet it is difficult to prove: A lot is said about human knowledge, but first of all the term itself needs to be clarified. Many believe that knowing people is the ability to judge another person's character. But this is only half the truth.
A short definition of knowledge of human nature could read: The ability to correctly interpret and judge character, intentions and future behavior based on first impressions.
No wonder that knowledge of human nature is one estimated qualification is. It helps in every interpersonal relationship, helps to avoid disputes and, through a correct assessment, helps to avoid dealing with toxic people from the beginning.
But also all the more unlikely that actually so many people allegedly have it. But where does our wrong assessment of our own knowledge of human nature come from?
Knowledge of human nature: why do we think we know someone?
We get to know a person, form a picture of him within seconds and then it seems to be set in stone for all time. After all, you have a knowledge of human nature, you can hardly have been wrong about another person. It seems like this, or at least something like that, in many cases.
In reality, things are unfortunately very different. Not only are we always wrong with our assessments - then we want to not even admit this mistake. But before you are ashamed of this shame: You can only do something about it to a limited extent, because this process takes place unconsciously in the brain.
The so-called is to blame Confirmation failure. In other words: We see our first judgment confirmed again and again, while contradicting behavior is unconsciously hidden. The result of the process: the true character of the other person may remain undetected, but the Opinion about one's own knowledge of human nature remains untouched.
These mistakes distort human knowledge
The confirmation error, however, is not the only error that consumes the image of one's own knowledge of human nature. The human brain is especially good at tricking itself.
Most people are particularly susceptible to ...
the hindsight mistake.
Most of you have probably experienced this mistake at some point. Do you remember the last time you thought "I knew it before"? You probably don't have that! People tend to adjust their previous prediction as soon as they know the actual result.
the attribution error.
Anyone who forms an image of another person ignores the external circumstances. A new contact has no time and puts you off to a later date. Immediately the impression of the arrogant and unfriendly loner arises. The circumstances, however, are not considered. He may be a loving father who needs to see a doctor with his daughter.
Particularly mean in the case of an attribution error: he turns around for himself. In other words: one's own misconduct is regularly blamed on external circumstances.
Knowledge of human nature test: How well do you see through others?
Now that you know that your assessment of your knowledge of human nature cannot be trusted, it is time to put you to the test. To this end we have a few questions prepared for you and would ask you to remember which one Answer option You chose most often. In the end, this letter will lead you to your resolution of the test.
Please remember: this test has not scientific Claim. It's just a matter of giving you some orientation. Have fun and remember to answer honestly. The focus is not on doing as well as possible, but on learning how good your knowledge of human nature is.
Self-test for knowledge of human nature
1. How long does it take you to list three of your strengths and weaknesses?
- I'd have to think about it for a moment, but after a few minutes I'd be done. (A)
- I'm really bad at that. That could take a while. (C)
- I've dealt with the topic many times. Can start immediately. (B)
2. What do you look for first when you meet a new person?
- I get an overall picture. In addition to the conversation, this also includes body language and clothing. (B)
- I often have a picture beforehand from the information I receive from others. (C)
- I listen carefully to what is being said. So nothing can escape me and I notice everything. (A)
3. The person you are talking to can hardly keep his hands still and keeps playing with his hair. What does that mean?
- Seems bored to him. Maybe he's not interested in the current topic. (A)
- He's clearly nervous. A new interlocutor seems to put him under pressure. (B)
- That does not mean anything. He just doesn't know what to do with his hands. (C)
4. There are many possibilities at an event. Which people do you come into contact with?
- Unfortunately, always with the wrong people. Often I don't like them afterwards. (C)
- It is very different. Sometimes there are exciting conversations, sometimes I look for the distance after a short time. (A)
- I'm actually always lucky enough to make the right contacts straight away. (B)
5. If you had to judge your job and your private life: Do you have a lot to do with other people?
- Yes, especially at work and in my sports club, I come into contact with new people almost every day. (B)
- In the office, of course, I meet my colleagues, otherwise it is limited. (A)
- No, I prefer to work alone and like to have some rest after work. (C)
Test results: You can find the solution here
The following links will take you to your personal results:
Knowledge of human nature: can it be learned?
Knowledge of human nature is no ability that exists from birth. Rather, it develops over the years and can therefore also be learned. Particularly important are the caregivers during childhood, above all of course the parents. In these, children look at different behaviors, expressions, emotions, facial expressions and variations in body language - and learn what these mean in different situations.
With time and the impressions collected the knowledge of human nature grows, it becomes easier to understand what is going on in someone else, the assessments become more concrete and it sometimes only takes a fraction of a second to get an idea of a person. Close contact with one's own parents and a lot of time spent with them in order to observe and understand body language, feelings and behavior is therefore helpful in learning to understand people.
But that too exact opposite contributes to a knowledge of human nature: Children who spent little time together with their parents and had a bad or even hostile relationship also develop a high level of human knowledge. Experts attribute this to the fact that it is all the more important for these children to perceive small changes and to draw the right conclusions about other people from them.
However, it is not that simple, because there is no catalog of tasks that you can work on in order to gain knowledge of human nature afterwards. Rather, this arises as the result of a long process for which above all personal experiences with other people are necessary.
These Tips can help you develop your understanding of human nature.
Before you begin assessing other people, you should first consolidate your knowledge of yourself. What are your strengths and weaknesses? How do you appear to the outside world? You can only apply your knowledge of human nature to other people if you have a solid self-image.
Read body language
Most of the interpersonal communication does not take place via words, but via non-verbal signals. In order to have a good understanding of people, it is therefore essential to understand the body language of your counterpart. This includes, for example, posture, facial expressions, gestures or eye contact.
Understand choice of words
Now that you've dealt with the body language, it's time to dig deeper into the content. Does your interlocutor argue, for example, on a very factual level or does he concentrate on emotional aspects? The more information you take in, the more concrete your picture becomes.
You now know the mistakes mentioned above, which are often made. This can help you avoid exactly these. Include the current situation and the environment in your assessment and question whether your initial impression is still correct in the long term.
Knowledge of human nature: why are we still mistaken about others?
you have one good knowledge of people, train them even further and feel like nobody can fool you. However, you should not rely too much on this, because even a strong knowledge of human nature does not protect you from being fooled by others.
Especially with the people around us, whom we supposedly know particularly well, the knowledge of human nature often fails. Good friends, partners or colleagues with whom you deal every day - the closer you are to another person, the greater the chance that you will not pay attention to your knowledge of human nature, but rather lead yourself by the nose.
Behind this is the confirmation error already mentioned above: You do not want to perceive possible negative things, hold on to the positive image and ignore warnings or signs that contradict it.
Over time, impressions gained are questioned less and less, even if the person's behavior changes.
Other readers will find these articles interesting
- How do the British justify colonialism?
- Are charisma and sympathy learnable skills
- What makes a prayer come alive?
- Why can't I be happy on my own?
- Are there any R-rated anime films
- What causes an infection in a cartilage earring
- Does yoga really help during pregnancy?
- WHAT NEXT COMPLETED B TECH Civil Engineering
- Do the Germans still want Alsace-Lorraine
- How can leadership be quantified
- Which animals taste differently depending on their gender
- Black people took part in the civil war
- Are there lowlands and highlands in Venezuela
- How much money can we collect
- Can we use fingerprint authentication in DAPP
- How does an 8mm tape adapter work
- What do you dislike about Baahubali
- Uses SpaceX technology from Area 51
- What exactly is red phosphorus
- How can I season a steak
- How many jobs are there in PHP
- How is the US Postal Service financed
- Ghosts live forever in Harry Potter
- What is basketball known as