What does it mean to be caught
The expression in red-handed means "in the act", "in the act".
The Latinin (crimine) flagranti means something like "during the hot (crime)" (cf. flagrantia = the embers). A crime is of course hot if it is currently taking place or has just taken place. So do you catch someone in red-handed, that's how you specifically catch him committing an offense.
She caught her husband with the kitchen help in red-handed in the garden shed.
The bankers showed this talent soon after the First World War, when they offered their French neighbors to invest their money bypassing the tax authorities in Switzerland. The French police even succeeded in 1932, the bosses of the Basler Handelsbank in red-handed to be caught when they were accepting money in Paris. Three years later, Switzerland therefore legally stipulated that an official offense was committed by anyone disclosing customer data. This was the hour of birth of Swiss banking secrecy.
- Dirk Böttcher and Lukas Kistler, Schwyzerdütsch - German, brand eins 10/2009.
Subscribe for free and learn a new foreign word every day
Receive the word of the day every morning with our free newsletter. You can unsubscribe at any time. Your data will not be passed on to third parties for advertising purposes.
More interesting words:
flagrant - The adjective flagrant means "obvious" or "unambiguous". Also...
ad acta - The idiom ad acta means that something has been filed (to the ...
to denounce - The verb to denounce means to denounce someone or something (mostly from lower ...
Charme - The noun charm denotes an attraction that depends on the nature of a ...
Subsidiarity principle - The subsidiarity principle as a fundamental part of many modern ...
- What are the risks of cataract surgery
- Why diesel engines are better in SUVs
- How do I repair my guitar amplifier
- How much water affects our diet
- How do quantitative stock trading algorithms work
- How to say greetings in Tamil
- How did the electron begin to spin around the nucleus
- What is the craziest rule 34
- What are the largest African media companies
- Is my girlfriend okay
- What could you do with more time
- How is kota for trade and law
- What is a good site for programming
- What is silicon carbide made of
- What is Jallikatu
- What was Yelp's last review in 2009
- Online money making violates tax laws
- Which is the best book on productivity
- Spiritual gurus lead people astray
- Is ecology a heresy?
- Why is a CTAB used
- What is a healthy volunteer
- What is wind power
- Are there lowlands and highlands in Venezuela