Is nostalgia a pleasant feeling?
Retromania - Why this love for the past?
Whether vintage fashion, oldtimers, Bauhaus furniture - there was one revival after another, especially in the noughties. Cultural scientists have already proclaimed an "age of nostalgia". Nostalgia is nothing new, but a feeling that has always been inherent in all people, says the psychologist Julius Frankenbach: “We now also know that nostalgia is a universal feeling that is experienced with similar frequency and intensity in all age groups and in many cultures . "
A bittersweet feeling
This nostalgia is also a difficult feeling to describe. Because it is ambivalent, somewhere between pain and happiness. It is, so to speak, "bittersweet" and is linked to both positive memories and a feeling of loss, the longing for a past, says Frankenbach.
And for some, nostalgia is even a question of existence - for example for Sarah Hofmann, operator of the second-hand shop "TABULA ROSA" in the Nauwieser Viertel. She says she couldn't do her job without nostalgia. For them, nostalgia is first and foremost a nice feeling, something that brings back nice memories.
Security in uncertain times
Often it is things that appeal to our senses that make us nostalgic: a smell, a melody, an object. But it also applies: the more uncertain the times, the more nostalgic we become, says the psychologist Julias Frankenbach. But is it even good to indulge in the past? Isn't that bittersweet feeling turned backwards? Is it an expression of having stopped in the past? The psychologist contradicts this.
Researched the impact of nostalgia on our wellbeing. He says: nostalgia can even make you happy and help you cope with the future. It creates a feeling of security, security and continuity. And what speaks against longing for the future? “Maybe because we have more control over the past than over the future,” suspects Julius Frankenbach.
Also a topic in the "Region in the afternoon" on November 18, 2020 on SR 3 Saarlandwelle.
- Why do you like sales
- Why do people embarrass me
- How does Tinder work in India
- Indian politics is dirtier than ever
- Why did you stop playing your sport?
- Investing How does art become justice?
- Can I get good grades without coaching?
- Are the IHMs better than Christ University
- What is the acceptance rate of IIMs
- Can I read a book 1
- What does RDD stand for
- Why should i use Paytm
- What is energetic classical music
- Who invented the shoe-wearing machine?
- Automated weapons will destroy people
- What if my Virginia gets dry
- Has anyone used the Clarity website
- Why do parrot feathers swell
- Did you do something dirty?
- What's your worst experience in Zug
- Who can revoke a power of attorney?
- What are your favorite Misheard lyrics
- How can I stop believing in horoscopes?
- What is RGB in remote sensing