If I have the time, it's right
The subtle difference between "haben" and "haben"
How do you correctly express yourself when you want to inform someone that your boss has no time this week - “The boss says he won't have time for you until next week” or “The boss says he won't have time until next week” for her"?
It is clear that the subjunctive (the possible form) must be used in indirect speech. But which one? Subjunctive I ("have") or Subjunctive II ("had")?
The rule is: In indirect speech, the subjunctive I is usually used. Only if the form of the subjunctive I is the same as the indicative (the reality form), then switch to subjunctive II.
That sounds complicated, but it's actually not difficult. You can now read in the current edition of what the indicative, subjunctive I and subjunctive II look like in the verbs “haben” and “Lassen” Office correspondence up to date. Click here ... and get your FREE edition to get to know now.
For a better understanding: The subjunctive I is usually derived from the present tense (“I have”, “I let”). The subjunctive two always from the simple past (“I had”, “I left”).
You see: The first person singular (I) and plural (we) as well as the third person plural (they) are indicative and subjunctive I the same. Only in these people does the indirect speech say “would have” or “leave” instead of “have” or “let”.
So it has to be correct:
- The boss says he won't have time for you until next week (subjunctive I).
- Both department heads told me that they definitely wouldn't have time for a meeting until next week (subjunctive II, because subjunctive I is the same as the indicative).
As you can see: You can read the best secretary practical tips for contemporary, DIN-compliant and stylish correspondence in Office correspondence up to date. Test the new 20-minute correspondence training and you will receive the next issue free of charge! Click here ...
- What is the worst church in Buffalo
- Is it okay to always be single?
- Which architect deserves more recognition
- Who would like Tiki Taka to come back
- How much has German influenced Portuguese?
- What is the company's exit
- What I could write about every day
- How do I take care of the singing
- Can a 737 do a barrel roll
- What are you doing in BHU
- Is pizza franchise profitable
- What is the most successful wordpress site ever
- Inflamed bowel may cause shortness of breath
- What is the largest library in Louisiana
- What is the job of Hema Malini
- How long can you bleed after a miscarriage
- What do you think of asteroid mining
- How do I reduce my dandruff
- ADHD is all blade not a handle knife
- What is almost zero energy building
- Where can I learn NumPy
- Why is Flipper called Flipper
- What are your biggest red flags
- What does Haruki Murakami think of religion?