Why we should all be bored a lot more
“Mom, how much longer?” Nothing was worse before than a never-ending car journey. After two hours you had finished all the sweets, had argued with your siblings so that nobody wanted to talk to each other, ran through town-country-river from A to Z three times in your head - and you still hadn’t reached your goal. Laaaaaa boring it was. And there was nothing you could do about it! At most, stare out of the window. And if things went well, you fell asleep at some point. That was the redemption.
Count cracks in the ceiling
Today we no longer know the state of boredom. At least I can't remember the last time I didn't know what to do with myself. When time seemed so tough, like chewing gum for too long. We always have something to do. And if not, then let's think about what to do next. Instead of counting the cracks in the ceiling, we write to-do lists in our heads. And when we have finished, we write WhatsApps, emails and status notifications. Thanks to our smartphone, we never have to deal with ourselves again. Even on the way to work or while waiting for the train, we always have something to plug the void in our head with.
Full of luxury
Boredom has become a luxury that we cannot or do not want to afford. Boredom is a good thing. Neuroscientists have found that a network in the brain ignites when we are bored. If we are not consciously thinking about something, our head is at rest, it even increases our creativity, because our head subconsciously links various ideas with one another. Pretty good right? Research also shows that doing nothing increases our ability to concentrate and reduces stress. And that in turn has a positive effect on our sleep and our psyche.
So boredom is not a waste of time. It is a gift that we should give ourselves more often. So the next time I'm lying on the sofa, I'll just, exactly, do nothing! And that until it breaks out of me: "Wow, that's sooo boring!"#Subjects
- Which tech startups are great for branding?
- Who was Bach?
- Is there a multiple choice test parser
- Asiatic kings were generally better rulers
- Why are there Muslim extremists
- What are the advantages of nuclear weapons
- What is the real purpose of survival
- Break up breakup sex in India
- Is Payza safe
- What people don't forget
- Which is a balanced fertilizer for plants
- How does the toxic shock syndrome work at all
- What businesses are dragging the old device away
- Why is PCR needed for gel electrophoresis
- Who can take MCAT exams?
- How does lupus cause jaw pain
- What is the importance of media surveillance
- Are water lilies edible
- What do Romanians think of Serbs?
- Why do parents restrict adolescent relationships?
- Makes FedEx passports
- What should you wear under a vest?
- I am afraid of intimacy
- Is love different for a dyslexic
- What is an Ellingham Chart
- How is Tableau
- Coughing dogs
- I would like to speak Nigerian Pidgin English
- What kind of mead did Beowulf drink
- Girls also have sexual fantasies
- How do I stop using tobacco
- How has law school changed you
- What is a superordinate function
- Which computer language will survive by 2026?