What is a pheromone trap
5 reasons why pheromone traps won't help with a moth problem
Many people have experienced moths despite moth traps. This is very annoying, because the users of such traps rely on the measures that are supposed to prevent a moth infestation or safely end an already existing moth infestation. The question arises: How do moth traps work? What are they actually used for if they cannot tackle the actual problem with sufficient effectiveness?
How do moth traps actually work?
We understand a moth trap to be a simple cardboard construction or a folded tunnel triangle that contains a glued piece of cardboard. The moths should stick to this piece of glue. So they are withdrawn from circulation. They are attracted by spread female attractants or sex hormones, the so-called pheromones. But the expectations of this type of moth trap are too high. Because the pheromone traps are not really used to destroy a moth population, as is generally assumed. Rather, they serve to control the infestation or to reduce the infestation by other measures. The pheromone trap is an accompanying measure to combat moths.
Unfortunately, only male moths fall victim to such traps. These can no longer fertilize female moths. Eggs are no longer laid in the preferred places - and thus also no longer the voracious moth larvae, which are responsible for the small holes in clothing. So far so good. The only problem is that a pheromone trap does not distinguish whether the male moth that sticks to it has just flown in through the open window. It can also come from the wardrobe that is to be disinfected due to moth infestation. The female attractants on the cardboard do not specifically target the moth population that is already nested in the wardrobe. Instead, under unfavorable circumstances, someone can attract more clothes or food moths. The pheromones - depending on where they are used - have a greater range.
How is it that someone has moths despite moth traps?
Pheromone traps are available for both food moths and clothing moths. Depending on the manufacturer, the attractant can be expected to last from 4 to a maximum of 12 weeks. About 20-30 square meters of space can be cleared of male moths in this way. But why don't moth traps with pheromones work against moth infestation?
1. They do not act on already fertilized female moths in the room.
2. They have no effect on moth eggs already deposited in the laundry.
3. They have no effect on the already developed larvae that make holes.
4. With bad luck, you attract more male moths through the open window.
5. With pitch, these fertilize other female moths that are already in the room.
It is also understandable that in the event of a strong moth infestation, you can never remove all males at the same time. So some of them can potentially continue to happily fertilize female moths. This does not change anything if someone uses several pheromone traps to be on the safe side. On the contrary: it is possible that you are only attracting more moths from outside.
Moths despite moth traps are completely normal
As everyone can see, the pheromone traps are limited in their effectiveness. They also harbor certain risks. However, the manufacturers of such moth control products often give the impression that homeowners can use pheromones to stop the infestation. That is not completely right. What is correct is that the moth infestation can be controlled as it progresses. That means more measures must be taken to end the plague. One possibility, for example, would be beneficial insects that attack the moth larvae directly and render them harmless. The effect of these control measures can be monitored using the pheromone trap. Because if male moths can still be found on the cardboard with the pheromone, larvae can still be found somewhere, from which the moths later hatch. As the population declines, the likely end of the moth plague can also be expected.
- What does tax year mean tax year
- What is the generic brand for clindamycin
- What is electron enthalpy
- Best friends can be friends forever
- Which version of Linux Mint is the best
- How do I remove a silicone adhesive
- Organic farming yields lower organic yields
- Is rotten fruit sweeter
- Left-handed people are better at math
- Manufactures Emirates aircraft
- Who was the most popular Hollywood star
- How do reptiles mate
- What does Schedule H contain?
- Who kills the king in Macbeth
- How can I ask questions in the Unacademy
- What is the reported language 1
- How are Google Smartphones
- What is COPD aka Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- How do you overcome an ex-relationship
- Who is Manu Bhaker
- Are other government candidates eligible for TNEA
- Is Microsoft Office still relevant in 2019
- How does alcohol affect Transcendental Meditation
- Why do teachers compare their students
- Where is the music sticker on Instagram
- Can the confirmation time of Bitcoin be reduced
- Why does Jose Mourinho hate Arsene Wenger
- What are you doing before 1
- Where can I learn Sukla Yajurveda online
- What to do right after the exams
- How is Tony Stark so rich
- Do I have autism 2
- What offends your husband