What is the chemical composition of DMSO
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO)Drug groupsAnti-inflammatory drugsDimethyl sulfoxide is an active ingredient from the group of anti-inflammatory drugs that is used for the external treatment of pain, inflammation and swelling. It is applied as a gel, cream or with a spray, among other things. DMSO has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic, vasodilator, wound healing and antimicrobial properties. It also increases the absorption of active pharmaceutical ingredients into the skin. Possible adverse effects include allergic reactions, skin reactions, an unpleasant bad breath and body odor, and digestive disorders. DMSO is also used in chemistry as an aprotic solvent for numerous substances.
synonym: Dimethylis sulfoxidumPhEur, DMSOProducts
Dimethyl sulfoxide is approved as a medicinal substance in Switzerland and is only available in combination with other active ingredients. They are sprays, gels and creams. The DMSO ointment 50% is produced in pharmacies.
The basic substance is available in pharmacies and drug stores. Medicines for ingestion are not approved. The metabolite → MSM is available as an oral food supplement (see there).Structure and properties
Dimethyl sulfoxide (C.2H6OS, Mr = 78.1 g / mol) exists as a colorless and odorless liquid or as colorless crystals. It is hygroscopic and miscible with water. DMSO should be stored in a glass container, tightly closed and protected from light. The melting point is around 18 ° C, i.e. within room temperature. Pure DMSO should not come into contact with the eyes or skin.
Dimethyl sulfoxide (ATC M02AX03) has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic, vasodilator, wound healing and antimicrobial properties. It increases the absorption of other active ingredients into the skin and is therefore also used as a penetration enhancer. Dimethyl sulfoxide can increase the release of histamine.
Dimethyl sulfoxide is metabolized in the organism to dimethyl sulfide (DMS) and dimethyl sulfone (DMSO2). DMS is exhaled through the lungs and excreted through the skin - this causes undesirable effects. DMSO2 corresponds to the substance → MSM (methylsulfonylmethane), which is also taken as a dietary supplement.application areas
- In suitable drugs for the external treatment of pain, swelling and inflammation.
- DMSO ointment 50%: Sudeck's disease (CRPS)
- To promote the absorption of active pharmaceutical ingredients into the skin.
- In the USA for the treatment of interstitial cystitis.
- DMSO is used in chemistry as an aprotic solvent. It is suitable for numerous polar and apolar substances.
- In parts of alternative medicine, DMSO has been touted as a “miracle cure” since the 1980s. However, we should refrain from doing this.
According to the specialist information. Dimethyl sulfoxide is used externally and should not be ingested.Contraindications
- Pregnancy, lactation
The complete precautionary measures can be found in the product information sheet.Interactions
DMSO promotes the absorption of other active ingredients into the skin. Therefore, no other drugs should be applied to the same skin area.unwanted effects
Possible adverse effects include allergic reactions, reddening of the skin, itching, burning sensation, a garlic-like bad breath, and digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and poor appetite.
Because dimethyl sulfide is eliminated through the lungs and skin, patients may experience unpleasant bad breath and body odor.see also
MSM → Further informationliterature
- Pharmaceutical product information (CH, USA)
- David N.A. The pharmacology of dimethyl sulfoxide. Annu Rev Pharmacol, 1972, 12, 353-74 Pubmed
- European Pharmacopoeia PhEur
- Jacob S.W., Herschler R. Pharmacology of DMSO. Cryobiology, 1986, 23 (1), 14-27 Pubmed
- Jacob S.W., Wood D.C. Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) toxicology, pharmacology, and clinical experience. Am J Surg, 1967, 114 (3), 414-426
- Jarvis W.T. DMSO. National Council Against Health Fraud, 1997
- Pope D.C., Oliver W.T. Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). Can J Comp Med Vet Sci, 1966, 30 (1), 3-8 Pubmed
- Safety data sheet
Conflicts of Interest: None / Independent. The author (AV) has no relationships with the manufacturers and is not involved in the sale of the products mentioned.additional Information
Support PharmaWiki with a donation!
© PharmaWiki 2007-2021 - PharmaWiki provides independent and reliable information about medication and health.
This article was last changed on 14.12.2019.
Imprint and data protection declaration
Show products for this page
- Why are people always after your money
- Is the shedding calculated by the narcissist
- Are satellites in space
- What are some facts about mental disorders
- What has been done to improve Detroit?
- What famous composers have never studied composition
- Which rap song makes a political statement?
- Can we trust someone more than ourselves
- Who should take graphics course
- Who are Tech Mahindra's customers
- Who are some crusher suppliers in africa
- What is your Sony stock price prediction
- Has a vehicle withdrawal ever turned fatal
- Can an iPhone 10 take pictures underwater
- Why is it so easy to die
- What is a chaya plant
- What is the crocodile predator and why
- What does urllib urlencode return
- What does urllib urlencode return
- What are some processes involved in science
- How financially stable are you
- What are images of alternative currencies
- How do I become a power engineer
- Are the products that Shopify does well