Why does the internet run slowly sometimes
Internet My internet is slow - what to do?
Modern DSL and cable Internet connections are extremely fast: Instead of using lame analog modems or ISDN adapters as it was in the past, data is now racing back and forth between PC and Internet at 25, 50, 100 or even more megabits. However, the data transfer sometimes seems extremely slow. The provider can be to blame for this, but in most cases there are small things that you can improve yourself. So before you spend hours on the service hotline of your Internet provider, you should make better use of the time - and lend a hand yourself.
Is it the wifi?
One of the most common reasons for a slow Internet connection is the wireless network in your home, your WLAN: This is often slowed down by all sorts of factors. You can test this with a few simple steps:
Improve WLAN connection: Here's how it works
There are several ways to improve your WiFi connection. First of all, you should eliminate interference factors in order to get a better WiFi connection.
1. Disturbing factor: distance
How far is the wireless router from your PC or notebook? Often the range is simply not sufficient. Try to keep the distance between routers and computers as close as possible.
2. Disruptive factor: water
The same problem exists with water as with distance: water slows down WiFi waves. Slow WiFi can therefore be caused by anything between the router and PC that contains a lot of moisture: concrete walls, plants, high humidity, other people and so on.
3. Disturbing factor: Other WLANs and devices
Another source of wireless interference that should not be disregarded is other devices: Do you use an older Bluetooth mouse or a cell phone next to your computer? Are there many WiFi networks in the area? Try to eliminate as many radio sources as possible.
4. Disruptive factor: WLAN repeater
Last but not least, an often forgotten disruptive factor: WLAN repeaters. They promise more range, but for technical reasons they cut the speed of the connection in half: Each repeater effectively halves the network speed. Try it once without a repeater.
Internet still slow? Get maximum WiFi performance.
If the WiFi is still slow, you should take a look at the router settings. If you have a modern router, you should set it to "automatic" for maximum performance.
Internet still slow? Separate frequency bands.
If this does not have a positive effect, it can help to separate the WiFi frequency bands. Modern routers usually support dual band: They transmit at 2.4 and 5 gigahertz. The 2.4 GHz network goes further, the 5 GHz network is less prone to interference. If you separate these networks, you have two WLANs: one for “wide” (for example on the balcony) and one for “fast” (for example in the living room near the router).
What to do if it is not due to the WLAN?display
WLAN is often, but not always, the cause of slow WLAN. If you are also traveling slowly with an Ethernet cable, a typical suspect is the DNS server of the Internet provider: Here providers like to save, which means that websites are only accessed painfully slowly despite a fast connection.
What to do if it wasn't
If this does not bring any improvement and the WLAN optimization should not have helped either, the problem is most likely with the provider. In this case you should contact him and tell him that the internet connection is still slow despite optimization. Perhaps your connection is simply not properly switched or there are causes for which a technician has to be called out.
- When did the Philadelphia Eagles start?
- Would you buy a Nissan GTR again
- Why are there scientific names
- What is a poetic apostrophe
- Fortnite is a simple game
- Christmas is just commercial hype
- Which is harder PHP or Android development
- Are French and Romanian understandable
- What could the squid have developed from?
- How do I choose film genres
- What is the noun form of unimportant?
- What do snails eat
- What does the initial speed mean
- What is the joy of sport
- How good is the College of Engineering Chengannur
- How do I broadcast Dish TV recordings
- What role does engineering ethics play
- What is applied economics versus economics
- What is a substance disorder
- How could we go back in time?
- How's the parking in Newton, MA
- What does philosophy refer to
- The AAP has internal elections
- How do countries conduct missile tests