How is originality possible
Suspicion of originality? New options for the humanities and cultural studies
Goal of the initiative
"Originality" is one of the central quality criteria in the humanities and cultural studies. But it is precisely in these disciplines, with their specific research subjects, that the question of what "original", "new" or "innovative" means is difficult to determine. What contradicts established specialist knowledge and generally accepted intuitions may just as much be part of it as the development of a new approach, a new thesis, a new theory, the observation of a new phenomenon or the identification of previous ignorance.
With this offer, the foundation would like to encourage scholars in the humanities and cultural studies to develop projects with insightful originality. An initial exploration of the research idea is funded.
In the application and selection process, the foundation is breaking new ground in three ways: The process is lean, quick and requires little effort for the applicants. In the appraisal process, it is innovative in the combination of the foundation's internal preselection and final selection by an expert jury. The anonymized review is intended to ensure that only the original research idea counts.
The initiative consists of two funding lines:
Funding line 1 "Come! Into the open ..."
The funding line offers the individual researcher the opportunity to explore a topic and present it in an essay (up to EUR 100,000, max. 1 year).
Funding line 2 "Constellations"
The offer is aimed at project teams with up to 4 applicants who work together on a new research idea, explore its viability in an exploration phase and publish it in a joint text (up to EUR 200,000, max. 1½ years).
Further information on the conditions of the tender and on how to apply can be found atInformation on application (pdf). Applications are submitted electronically via the application portal.
The funding initiative"Suspicion of originality?" New options for the humanities and cultural studies was established in 2014. 74 projects have been approved so far: 17 out of 387 (2015), 18 out of 213 (2017), 17 out of 174 (2018) and 22 out of 161 (2019)
- What happened to Johnny Lever
- What are the benefits of water 2
- Who is bigger Yeats or Heaney
- What is the future of my son
- Why is Yelp fueling in 2015
- How did Eru Iluvatar come about
- Why is Trump against renewable energies
- Why doesn't my fire alarm stop beeping?
- What are the best fennel salad recipes
- When was the heart muscle cell discovered?
- How has anger affected your life?
- Programs the same as poetry
- In what month are most singers born?
- How many articles are there in the KAS
- Can leukemia be passed on
- How does it help your family to quit smoking?
- Is SharePoint responsible for the poor adoption of SharePoint
- How is the placement in the IMU Navi Mumbai
- What is the purpose of reproduction
- Are suspension clauses mandatory
- What is DOCSIS
- Why are most Kenyans and Tanzanians fair-skinned
- What percentage of Quorans have no followers?
- Austria What are some good Austrian films
- It can be wrong to love someone too much
- What were psychological experiments with a mouse
- Delaware is a southern state
- Which is the best organic shampoo
- Are there forest roars over the Arctic Circle
- Who lives in Iceland
- Would you rather be broke or dead?
- How has religious watching movies changed you?
- Why do cat tails fluff up?
- What beer is on your design Why