Is Java suitable for mobile devices
Gluon wants to bring Java 8 and 9 to mobile devices
Gluon has announced a standalone Java VM for iOS and Android. The company, which among other things offers a cross-platform framework based on Java for Android and iOS, is reacting to the end of RoboVM. The tool was discontinued after the company of the same name was taken over by Xamarin, which was subsequently bought by Microsoft. So far, Gluon has been using the AOT (Ahead of time) compiler from RoboVM on iOS, which translates Java bytecode into native iOS programs. On Android, Dalvik or from Android 5 ART (Ahead of time Compiler Android Runtime) translates the bytecode on the device into native apps.
Java 8 and 9 instead of Apache Harmony
Gluon reacted in autumn to RoboVM's announcement that it would end its open source strategy: iOS developers could use different JVMs, including an iOS port of the OpenJDK. Now Gluon is developing its own Java VM called Gluon VM, which is based on the OpenJDK 9 Mobile project. In addition to the end of RoboVM, the opening of Java 8 and 9 for mobile developers is also a reason for their own implementation. The current Java VMs are based on Apache Harmony, which was officially terminated in 2011 after IBM turned its back on Harmony and instead became involved in the OpenJDK project. This means that Apache Harmony has largely remained at the Java 6 level.
As of the upcoming Android N, Google is also turning away from Apache Harmony and relying on OpenJDK, which is not only more up-to-date, but also has clearer license conditions. However, Google has not yet announced which version forms the basis. The announcement of the Gluon VM already reports successful tests of JavaFX apps that use the Java 8 Streams API on an Android N preview version.
The announcement does not yet give an exact schedule. The Gluon VM is to become an integral part of Gluon Mobile, which is available in different versions, the smallest of which is free of charge, but displays a nag screen.
See also on heise Developer:
(rme)Read comments (1) Go to home page
- What does fully comprehensive insurance cover
- What is the best smartphone battery
- How can I clean my cap table
- What is an inbound and outbound
- Which MBA course is better in India
- What is L1 L2 L3 in SAP
- Who makes bitcoins
- Where was Interlude filmed in Prague
- Can jellyfish be kept as pets?
- What is the best diet system
- How do you promote creative problem solving
- Can call astronauts from space
- How do I stay consistent and focused
- What does a trustee do
- Why should we save coal and oil
- Are signatures binding
- What's the most hated rap song
- What does motor without load mean
- When will advanced technology make people obsolete?
- What are the five levels of writing
- What does ASAP 5
- Why does my dog have autism
- Can I eat masala oats if I have diarrhea?
- Would extraterrestrials even bother to contact humanity
- How is it that I was not gifted with attractiveness
- How does a PCB assembly process work
- Is file management important in c
- What does philosophy refer to
- Are you a gypsy
- How do antidepressants affect concentration?
- Why white light only contains seven colors
- Why did De Stijl start
- What is Amritsar famous for
- What is the current trend in mobile development